All Apps and Add-ons

Pinger configuration on windows

ilv2splunk
Explorer

I am hoping to get pinger up and running within windows.
Can it work through a proxy?

I have created pinger.conf but within pinger overview I am not getting anything in the drop down list site: it only has "all sites"

guessing it will have a list of the sites you add to the pinger.conf site.

I have restarted splunk and modified the inputs.conf so it looks like:

[script://.\bin\heartbeat.py]
interval = 60
index = main
sourcetype = sla_heartbeat
source = sla_heartbeat
disabled = false

What am I missing. Is there a log file I can look into somewhere for more info.

Updated
Ok so with the new version of pinger released hours ago I now get errors in the splunkd.log

05-17-2012 10:30:29.195 +1000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\pinger\bin\heartbeat.py"" Traceback (most recent call last):
05-17-2012 10:30:29.195 +1000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\pinger\bin\heartbeat.py"" File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\pinger\bin\heartbeat.py", line 151, in
05-17-2012 10:30:29.195 +1000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\pinger\bin\heartbeat.py"" print dt.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") + " site=" + uselabel + " domain=" + settings["host"] + " resource=" + useresource + " location=" + location + " status=" + code + " connect_time=" + str(cdelta.seconds) + "." + str(cdelta.microseconds) + " request_time=0.0 bytes=0 dns=0.0 prod=" + prod + " ext=" + ext + " message=\"" + msg + "\""
05-17-2012 10:30:29.195 +1000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\pinger\bin\heartbeat.py"" NameError: name 'dt' is not defined
05-17-2012 10:30:29.195 +1000 INFO ExecProcessor - Ran script: python "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\pinger\bin\heartbeat.py", took 10.92 seconds to run, 0 bytes read, exited with code 1

Tags (1)

Axience

Survey for messengers – Chance to win iPad mini
Are you using a messenger such as Skype, Whatsapp, pinger etc.? One lucky respondent will win an iPad (mini)! This is not spam – you can contact us directly: Gleb Zhukov at gleb.zhukov@axience.com. Please follow the link for the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KC7T33

0 Karma

jeremyhaggard
Explorer

I downvoted this post because spam content.

0 Karma

johnlockie
Explorer

How do you run saved search "pinger_populate_sites"? I notice with WebMon the saved searches are added as a link in the app portal. I am new to Splunk and exploring some of the features. So I apologize for my ignorance 🙂

Update: I found it under "Searches and Reports" when clicking "Manager" link at the top right. But it doesn't update the list 😛

Axience

Dear johnlockie
I’m working in a research and consulting company Axience, www.axience.com. We are currently conducting a survey among messenger users and would appreciate if you could spend several minutes answering our questions.
One lucky respondent will win an iPad (mini). This is not spam – you can approach us directly at gleb.zhukov@axience.com.
Please follow this link to for the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KC7T33
Best regards,
Axience

0 Karma

pstout
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I traced the issue in your original report from the logfiles. I just posted 2.2 to address this issue -- it is a bug with Pinger introduced in 2.1. Thanks for helping me find it!

Axience

Dear pstout
I’m working in a research and consulting company Axience, www.axience.com. We are currently conducting a survey among messenger users and would appreciate if you could spend several minutes answering our questions.
One lucky respondent will win an iPad (mini). This is not spam – you can approach us directly at gleb.zhukov@axience.com.
Please follow this link to for the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KC7T33
Best regards,
Axience

0 Karma

pstout
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi! I'm Paul and Pinger is my creation.

I included Windows directions in the README.txt in the app root but I'll paste the net here:

Windows uses different path delimiters from *NIX or Mac.  You must recreate
the scripted input in local/inputs.conf and reverse the direction of the
slashes.  i.e.:

[script://./bin/heartbeat.py]

should become:

[script://.\bin\heartbeat.py]

on Windows ONLY. Be sure that you clone the stanza in inputs.conf and don't
edit the default!

Sorry for the confusion! I'll try to find a way to make that more visible.

Also, the list of sites will populate within one hour. You can run the saved search "pinger_populate_sites" manually if you want it to populate before that. It builds a lookup table to populate the dropdown much more quickly.

pstout
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ok thanks -- please let me know if you change your mind. More than happy to work with you through the config.

0 Karma

ilv2splunk
Explorer

Hey Paul I read the readme.txt
I noted how I put the script in my original message.

Still have not had any luck getting it going have started using webmon instead. I do like the layout of pinger's overview better but just cant get it working or loggin any useful error messages.

0 Karma

gooza
Communicator

OK , did you succeeded in running the script manually via the CLI splunk cmd python .bin\heartbeat.py maybe that will give you some errors to follow on ...

Axience

Dear gooza
Best regards,
Axience

0 Karma

ilv2splunk
Explorer

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin> .\splunk.exe cmd python .\heartbeat.py
splunk.exe : No handlers could be found for logger "splunk.clilib.cli_common"

I have searched and found the following:
http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/38496/43-breaks-the-python-api-searches

That must not be the issue as I still can not run it after following the answer provided.

Thanks for the assistance Gooza I am very much a Splunk noob.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...