All Apps and Add-ons

Not able to install any apps from Splunkbase: Invalid app contents

gschrdr
Explorer

Hi Community,

I have a really strange issue and I'm wondering if this is not affecting quite everyone who is installing Splunkbase apps:

It happens even on a clean and freshly started Splunk:

docker run -ti --rm -e SPLUNK_START_ARGS="--accept-license" -e SPLUNK_PASSWORD="<redacted>" -p 8000:8000 splunk/splunk:latest

When I log in and want to install an App from Splunkbase:

Manage Apps -> Browse more apps -> Select ANY App -> Login to Splunkbase, Agree and Install

I get the error message:

Invalid app contents: archive contains more than one immediate subdirectory: and timeline_app 

As I said this happens with any app.

Downloading the file from Splunkbase and installing it either in the UI or the command line yields the same error.

Do you have any idea? Can you reproduce this behaviour? I don't know what could be special on my configuration.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gschrdr
Explorer

Update: Suddenly today the downloaded Splunkbase apps don't contain the splunkbase.manifest file anymore. So installation is working again. Must have been an issue on splunkbase.com.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gschrdr
Explorer

Just an addition:
If I look into the downloaded app package and unzip it,  remove the splunkbase.manifest file and rezip it. It installs.

So to me it seems like Splunk Enterprise doesn't like app packages that contain a splunkbase.manifest at the top level but Splunkbase only offers these kind of app packages 🤷

0 Karma

gschrdr
Explorer

I just found an old download of splunk-timeline-custom-visualization_161.tgz and it didn’t have this file included, while downloading the same version today always has this file included.

May this be a current issue of splunkbase.com?

0 Karma

gschrdr
Explorer

Update: Suddenly today the downloaded Splunkbase apps don't contain the splunkbase.manifest file anymore. So installation is working again. Must have been an issue on splunkbase.com.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...