All Apps and Add-ons

Lousy eventtypes in Unix add-on: only Unix uses *.log files?

satyenshah
Path Finder

The Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux (v6.0.1, the current version) contains a couple of curiously broad eventtype definitions in default/eventtypes.conf:

[nix-all-logs]
search = source="*.log" OR source="*.log.*" OR source="*/log/*" OR source="/var/adm/*" OR source="access*" OR source="*error*" OR sourcetype="syslo*" NOT source=usersWithLoginPrivs NOT sourcetype=lastlog

[nix_errors]
search = (NOT sourcetype=stash) error OR critical OR failure OR fail OR failed OR fatal

Which say that any Splunk search result where the data came from a file with extension ".log", or any search query containing the search term "error", will tag the results with a "nix" eventtype. Even if you are searching IIS or firewall logs, it's tagged nix, which is comical. This raises two questions:

1) what are the implications of the eventtype on day-to-day use? Is the eventtype tag really relevant, or is it legacy from earlier versions of Splunk?
2) has anybody written/deployed a tighter filter for [nix-all-logs] and [nix-errors] than the built-in ones? I imagine just adding 'NOT vendor=Microsoft' would make sense, but I'm sure there's better logic.

lakshman239
Influencer

For 1 - eventtypes and tags are the foundations for datamodels. They are very helpful when you want to group events and tag them. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/Knowledge/Abouteventtypes

For 2 - If you want to create your own version/improve eventtypes, you can create one and store them in local/eventtypes.conf and local/tags.conf for your use case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...