I'm leaning more towards this being an issue with Splunk and not an issue with the Cyphort app. My gut is telling me this is an issue with the Python SSL libraries perhaps. I'm getting the exact same error with another API-based app pulling data over SSL.
Hah, yes. Thanks for circling back, I completely forgot.
Silly error I might add. After doing some digging I found I needed to bypass the Cyphort appliance in the proxy settings. Was right as rain after that.
We've got a trouble ticket open @Cyphort to address this and can provide the details from the backend that you're looking for via that.
Thanks for trying the App! - Aplura has been excellent at turnaround for any issues, so I'm confident we'll get to the bottom of it shortly.
Cyphort Technical Support
Keith from Cyphort here. We think this is probably a bug with our Splunk App and we'll work with you on getting it resolved ASAP via the ticket we have open with you.