All Apps and Add-ons

Is there any documentation for Splunk Essentials for Application Analytics (or why are my panels missing)?

hettervik
Builder

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed the app Splunk Essentials for Application Analytics, but it's not rendering at as it should. The dashboards are clearly broken. I've tried using different browsers, but to no help. I can't see that there is any documentation for the app online. Also, the README file included in the app seems to be the README for Splunk Security Essentials, presumably copied in there as a placeholder. Does anyone know where I can find documentation for Splunk Essentials for Application Analytics?

Link: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3966

EDIT: Added an edited picture of the frontpage to illustrate what I'm seeing (not actual screenshot).

alt text

1 Solution

hettervik
Builder

You know what, after looking some more at the error messages it hit me; it doesn't work because I've changed the name of the app directory in Linux to follow the standard naming convention. The paths used in the app are not "local", but use the original full name of the application. Is it possible to make it so that the URLs are "local", so that one could change the name of the app directory and it would work still?

For now I'll either change the app directory name back to the original, or I'll do a "replace all" on the URL paths in the config files.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hettervik
Builder

You know what, after looking some more at the error messages it hit me; it doesn't work because I've changed the name of the app directory in Linux to follow the standard naming convention. The paths used in the app are not "local", but use the original full name of the application. Is it possible to make it so that the URLs are "local", so that one could change the name of the app directory and it would work still?

For now I'll either change the app directory name back to the original, or I'll do a "replace all" on the URL paths in the config files.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@hettervi, I have converted your comment to answer. You can Accept the same to mark this question as answered!

deger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'll add it to my backlog to dynamically use the primary application name from the directory. But glad you have it figured out.

niketn
Legend

@hettervi besides the Product Tour, I did not find any documentation. So you can add a Bug tag to the question and also reach out to Splunk Support with issues related to this app. Meanwhile. For the community to assist you can you please let us know which specific Dashboards within the app are broken? Also, what is the version of Splunk you are using?

hettervik
Builder

Hi. I've added a tag called "bug", if that's what you meant? I don't have access to file support cases at the moment unfortunately. Do you know if there is a way of reaching Splunk Support by e.g. mail?

I'm using version 7.0.1 of Splunk. All the dashboards are broken. It seems to be issues with the HTML or something. When I look at the screenshot from Splunkbase, I see panels that simply doesn't exist in my installation of plunk Essentials for Application Analytics. Sorry I can't provide screenshots, as the installation is "sealed off" from the internet.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

I am actually on Splunk 7.1.0 and they seem to be working for me. I am using Google Chrome.

When you say none of them are working then what are you seeing. Is there any error?

hettervik
Builder

Hi. I've added a picture to my original question. The other dashoards are missing panels/pictures/etc. in a similar manner.

It almost looks like the app is trying to gather information directly from the internet in some cases. Do you know if this is the case? If so, that would explain some of the behaviour, as my Splunk instance isn't connected to the internet.

That being said, it's strange that the installation procedure in the README contains an offline installation guide, if the application indeed needs internet access.

0 Karma

deger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Hettervi,

I am the Product Owner and Developer for this App, the call out to the internet is just Splunk telemetry pull that you can opt-out which is part of the core product. The app does not need this to function. If you're in Chrome can you do an Inspect, Console and reload the main page that not loading. It will show the error if you can email or post it to the page where I can go ahead and help you with this issue.

One thing that might be causing this could be a caching issue on the upgrade of the app if you installed the original version which only supported 6.5 - 7.0. If you goto your Splunk URL path and use the following it should flush out the cache reference with http://localhost/en-US/_bump

hettervik
Builder

Hi Deger!

Sorry for the late reply. Some other tasks came up that down prioritized this one. For the record I'm already running the latest version of the app, 1.0.8, and I've tried flushing the cache with the "bump" feature you proposed, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

On the main page, if I look in inspect console (thanks for the tip), I see some different errors. I can't screenshot them or copy them out directly, so I'll write them by hand.

"Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)"

This error message showed for the following objects; app.css, .css, logo.png, https://localhost:8000/en-GB/static/app/Splunk_Essentials_For_Application_Analytics/images/general_i... and https://localhost:8000/.../components/controls/PreviousValueStore.js?bust=*integer*

Also, I got the following script error message as well.

uncaught error: script error for: components/controls/PreviousValueStore

Does any of this make any sense to you?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...