All Apps and Add-ons

How to send only certain indexes from a Search head to the Indexers but not all?

msmapper
Path Finder

Hi there,

I am looking to setup the tcpout config on my search heads to send my summary index and sos/internal indexes to our indexers but we have the PCI app and its add-on installed on the search heads as well. I wanted to know if there is any way to setup the tcpout configs to send the summary, internal and sos indexes and IGNORE all of the PCI related indexes on the search head.

Thanks
Jen

0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

try in outputs.conf

indexAndForward=true and setup a blacklist per index. (see .../system/default/outputs.conf)
see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Forward_data_for_a_...
To be tested of course.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

darsho

Hello Jen,

Were you able to find the final configurations that needs to be done in outputs.conf ? I am facing the same challenge, as I want to forward from Search Head to indexer the internal indexes along with one specific index responsible for storing the noteable events.

Kind Regards,
MS

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

try in outputs.conf

indexAndForward=true and setup a blacklist per index. (see .../system/default/outputs.conf)
see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Forward_data_for_a_...
To be tested of course.

0 Karma

msmapper
Path Finder

thanks yannk!

is both blacklist and whitelist required? initally i used the whitelist and got errors.

also can you explain the benefit of indexAndForward=true? the documentation wasn't very clear because it read like it would supercede the blacklist and forward all indexes.

here is an example of my outputs.conf

[tcpout:defaultGroup]
server = 10.244.4.185:9997
useACK=true
autoLB = true
forwardedindex.<1>.whitelist = _internal
forwardedindex.<2>.whitelist = sos
forwardedindex.<3>.whitelist = summary
forwardedindex.<4>.blacklist = notable
forwardedindex.<5>.blacklist = access_summary2

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...