All Apps and Add-ons

Deploying "Monitoring of Java Virtual Machines with JMX"

saas_sirsidynix
Explorer

I've nearly managed to setup the deployment of the JMX app to my Universal Forwarders. But have one last issue:

Splunk - 6.03
Universal Forwarder - 6.03

After deployment, the "boot" directory isn't being created on the Universal Forwarder (/...../etc/apps/monitoring-jmx/bin/lib/boot/). Checking my deployment config on the splunk server this is an empty directory.

If I create an empty file in the "boot" directory on the deployment server, then the "boot" directory is created on the Universal Forwarder but the jmx.py script doesn't run.

If I manually create an empty "boot" directory on the Universal Forwarder then everything works fine.

Is there a way to get this directory created during deployment?

Thanks

saas_sirsidynix
Explorer

After a bit of experimentation, I found that creating a directory and a file within that directory resolve the issue. For example:

/...../etc/apps/monitoring-jmx/bin/lib/boot/temp/temp

Just creating a file within bin/lib/boot meant that the boot directory was deployed, but the jmx.py script failed with an error.

jspears
Communicator

Having the same issue with the same app, but it appears that the modular input fails to run if there is any file (even a dotfile) in the boot directory. So...

1) Why do deployment server / deployment client fail to deliver an empty directory?

2) Why does SPLUNK4JMX fail to work with a seemingly innocuous file in bin/lib/boot/ ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...