All Apps and Add-ons

How to predict JVM Memory Usage in certain conditions?

m7787580
Explorer

Hi Splunkers,

I am having a situation in which I need to tell my project that what would the JVM memory usage look like if the number of requests increased to 200 transactions per second for the next 15 minutes continuously.

e.g.

00:00:01 = 200 transactions                    
00:00:02 = 200 transactions
00:00:03 = 200 transactions

all the way to 00:14:59 200 transactions

I know how to use Machine Learning, creating models, and training datasets in Splunk but I am not able to figure out how to tell them the exact heap usage mentioned above if the condition occurs.

This same situation has already occurred in my project in the past as well.

Any help would be really appreciable 🙂

Regards,
Tarun Malhotra

0 Karma

aoliner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Tarun,

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you having trouble expressing the gradual increase in total transactions in the form of features? Or have you trained a model but can't figure out how to compute the features in a streaming manner for the apply phase? Or something else?

0 Karma

m7787580
Explorer

HI Aoilner,

Thanks for replying.
Forget the question for an instance.

Let’s say transaction per second and JVM Usage are co-related parameters and sudden increased in transactions will increase the JVM usage..

Now I have to calculate how my JVM usage will look like if my transaction count is 2k or 20k etc.?

I have got 3 months of data in indexes , so let’s say we trained our model after that using machine learning I used to predict JVM Usage taking transaction as the dependent parameter
for next 15 min or 15 days according to my requirement.
but here I am saying what if hypothetically my transaction count has increased to 2k or 20k then on the basis of its learning I want to predict how my JVM Usage going to behave for that hypothetically transaction count?

I hope it makes sense , feel free to reach me if you still need more clarification.

Regards,
M7787579

0 Karma

aoliner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi M7787579,

I think I understand your question. You have a model that predicts JVM size given transaction count, and you want to know the JVM size given a hypothetical transaction count, correct? If so, you could the makeresults and eval commands to generate simulated transaction counts, then pipe that to apply. Does that make sense?

0 Karma

m7787580
Explorer

Hi Aoilner,

Can you please explain it with some examples.It would be really helpful.

Thanks

0 Karma

aoliner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Go to the Showcase in the ML Toolkit and run the Predict Server Power Consumption example under Predict Numeric Fields. That'll build a model that takes in utilization metrics and outputs predicted power consumption. Say you want to ask the what-if question "How much power would this machine draw if the disk utilization were pinned at 99%?" You can simply run the following:
| inputlookup server_power.csv
| eval total-disk-utilization = 0.99
| apply "example_server_power"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...