All Apps and Add-ons

How to map to Security Essential hard coded search

syokota_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi folks,
My environment is collecting windows security event and use Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows.

Collecting events are indexed with below source and sourcetype.

source=“XmlWinEventLog:Security”
sourcetype=“XmlWinEventLog"

I'd like to confirm my events with security essential app rules but search is based on different source name like below SPL.
alt text

Of course, just modify SPL on this page is easy but I'd like to avoid modifying every time to see this page or other windows security based sample searches.

How to change or rename (eval or aliases) source with few step of works?

Thanks,
Satoshi

1 Solution

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What I've been told before is that the field extractions for XML Windows Events is non-standard. Outside of sysmon, it's also quite rare.

What I would encourage you to do in these situations is to click Show SPL and then copy-paste the SPL (or click Open in Search) and then adapt fields or sourcetypes as appropriate for your situation. We absolutely want to make this process easier in general, but there are some pretty big technology challenges to making this totally generalizable. It's something still in the queue though, in the hopes of being able to make it happen at some point!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What I've been told before is that the field extractions for XML Windows Events is non-standard. Outside of sysmon, it's also quite rare.

What I would encourage you to do in these situations is to click Show SPL and then copy-paste the SPL (or click Open in Search) and then adapt fields or sourcetypes as appropriate for your situation. We absolutely want to make this process easier in general, but there are some pretty big technology challenges to making this totally generalizable. It's something still in the queue though, in the hopes of being able to make it happen at some point!

0 Karma

pedigoj

Is it correct to say at this time that we should add renderXml=false to the stanzas in local/inputs.conf for Windows TA 6.0 in order to get it working correctly with the current version of Security Essentials 2.3.1?

0 Karma

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Let me research this -- my comment above did not age well.

0 Karma

abhutiani
Explorer

Any update on this issue? Experiencing same issue with Windows TA 6.0 and SSE 2.4.2.

0 Karma

syokota_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks David. I understand current situation.
The reason why I choose renderxml option, because windows event logs are recorded as multi byte character such as Japanese. So we choose renderxml option in common with Japan.

This is the sample windows security event in Japanese.

LogName=Security
SourceName=Microsoft Windows security auditing.
EventCode=4799
EventType=0
Type=情報
ComputerName=svrsplunk
TaskCategory=Security Group Management
OpCode=情報
RecordNumber=31817
Keywords=成功の監査
Message=セキュリティが有効なローカル グループ メンバーシップが列挙されました。
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...