All Apps and Add-ons

How do I search events in a Tree Based Structure?

bschaap
Path Finder

I have a set of events as follows for a chain of SQL Server blocked processes. It's a tree based structure. I am trying to join the data set on itself to determine which resources are blocking the most. Either result is okay but I prefer the first one. I'm able to figure out a solution for result #2 using a join and searching the same data twice. However, the number of events is more than 10K so it truncates the results. I have seen the selfjoin command in docs but am not certain how to join between two different fields in the same data set.

Does anyone know how to produce either of the results below?

Sample Events
Process ID, Blocked By Process ID, Resource Name, Wait Time
1, 0, Resource 1, 0
2, 1, Resource 2, 15
3, 1, Resource 3, 10
4, 2, Resource 4, 5

Result set 1
Blocker, Total Blocked Victim Time
Resource 1, 30 <- recursively sum the wait time
Resource 2, 5

Result set 2
Blocker, Total Blocked Victim Time
Resource 1, 25 <-- only sum the wait time of the children (not grandchildren, etc)
Resource 2, 5

Tags (2)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Here's an example of one way to achieve this.

It's most efficient as a two-step process

Step one creates a csv file of the data to be recursed.

Step two iteratively joins that data to itself however many times you want it to so so.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/96043/recursive-search.html?childToView=495518#answer-495518

I'm not sure whether this one contains anything else you might find useful, but check it out as well...

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/170487/recursively-join-the-same-table.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...