All Apps and Add-ons

Extract fields from different security devices to a unified field format

vrajshekar
Path Finder

I am currently planning to forwards logs from multiple security devices to Splunk Enterprise.

I would like to know if its possible to extract fields from different log sources in a unified field format.

For Eg: I forward logs from Firewall, Proxy and Endpoint Security products. Since different vendors would be following different naming conventions in their logs. Is it possible to standardize this when parsing and indexing. From all these device logs, i want certain important fields.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Each source should be parsed and extracted separately.  When you do so, however, use the same field names for each source.  Then you can reference the common name regardless of the source.  This is how the Common Information Model (CIM) works (although you don't have to use the CIM app).

If you want to learn more about CIM, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.15.0/User/Overview 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Each source should be parsed and extracted separately.  When you do so, however, use the same field names for each source.  Then you can reference the common name regardless of the source.  This is how the Common Information Model (CIM) works (although you don't have to use the CIM app).

If you want to learn more about CIM, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.15.0/User/Overview 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...