All Apps and Add-ons

Dynamic charting.layout.splitSeries from checkbox Module

cmak
Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to make charting.layout.splitSeries parameter be dynamic. I tried methods such as http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/55625/telling-splunk-to-decide-which-type-of-chart-to-use-depe... which did not work for me.

I would like to have something like

<module name="HiddenChartFormatter">                                                                                                           <param name="charting.layout.splitSeries">$foo$</param>
<module name="FlashChart"/>
</module>

where $foo$ is either a true or false value. Hidden Chart formatter does not seem to recognize these tokens.

I also tried:

<module name="PostProcess">
<param name="search">| eval chartType=$Split_Series$| rename chartType as "charting.layout.splitSeries"</param>
   <module name="ResultsValueSetter">
  <param name="fields">charting.layout.splitSeriese</param>                                                                                               <module name="PostProcess">
    <param name="search"> </param>            
                                                                                                   <module name="HiddenChartFormatter">

<param name="charting.chart.showMarkers">true</param>
                                                                                                        <module name="FlashChart">
                                                                                                           <param name="height">600px</param>
                                                                                                        </module>
                                                                                                                                                                                                          </module>
                                                                                                                                                                                                     </module>
                                                                                                </module>
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just create a token called $charting.layout.splitSeries$, with the right value. You can create it using a Checkbox module, or a Pulldown module, or a ResultsValueSetter. I think you came really close with your ResultsValueSetter attempt, except for a typo (splitSeriese has an extra e on the end there).

I think the easiest is just to use the Checkbox module to create it:

<module name="Checkbox">
  <param name="name">charting.layout.splitSeries</param>
  <param name="label">split series</param>
  <param name="onValue">True</param>
  <param name="offValue">False</param>

To quickly explain why this works -- all HiddenChartFormatter does is create a bunch of $foo$ tokens -- $charting.chart$ and $charting.chart.nullValueMode$ etc.. So you can create them yourself and they'll work just as well.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just create a token called $charting.layout.splitSeries$, with the right value. You can create it using a Checkbox module, or a Pulldown module, or a ResultsValueSetter. I think you came really close with your ResultsValueSetter attempt, except for a typo (splitSeriese has an extra e on the end there).

I think the easiest is just to use the Checkbox module to create it:

<module name="Checkbox">
  <param name="name">charting.layout.splitSeries</param>
  <param name="label">split series</param>
  <param name="onValue">True</param>
  <param name="offValue">False</param>

To quickly explain why this works -- all HiddenChartFormatter does is create a bunch of $foo$ tokens -- $charting.chart$ and $charting.chart.nullValueMode$ etc.. So you can create them yourself and they'll work just as well.

cmak
Contributor

Great, this works. Yes, the extra "e" was a result of a lot of changing around and testing.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...