All Apps and Add-ons

Default Values for Application UI latency - UberAgent/Splunk

SplunkUser17

Dear all,
I'm monitoring a Citrix environnement using UberAgent/splunk. Some users on a remote site reported that "Citrix is slow".. and I'm trying to find the root cause.
I'm using uberagent, which gives me UI latency graphs and value.
My question is : What is the values range for a good UI latency. which value should not be exeeded.
Do you have any link, document that explains how to read those graphs and interpret them ?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

0 Karma
1 Solution

helge
Builder

uberAgent's UI latency metric measures the responsiveness of application user interfaces, ie. how long it takes an application to internally process user keyboard/mouse input. The UI latency metric is useful to compare application UI performance between two environments, e.g. physical PCs and VDI. Absolute values are typically not as important as the differences between different types of machines. App UI latency is typically not the right metrics for troubleshooting "Citrix is slow".

Citrix (XenApp?) performance problems are as common as the potential causes are manifold. uberAgent is exactly the right tool to analyze, however it cannot determine the root cause at the click of a button. Instead it collects high-quality metrics for your troubleshooting. I would recommend you inspect network latencies to backend services (e.g. Exchange) in addition to machine resource utilization. Especially disk latency can be telling.

Another aspect often causing slowness with Citrix XenApp is folder redirection, especially if AppData is redirected. Folder redirection depends on constant high availability and low utilization of the file servers. If those are busy even for a short period Citrix users will notice sluggish application performance.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

SplunkUser17

Thank you a lot for answer 🙂 I understand better now

The slowness issue I had is on a 3D app for designers, I checked some parameters before asking and I can say that there is no network latency, no access to file servers, no disk latency, no folder redirection and Citrix optimization policy are already in place. That's why I wanted to know more about app UI latency.

As you said, I asked the end user to perform some tests locally, so by this way I could compare the results between local usage and remote and it will be a first step to get an idea.

Thank you again and have a nice day 🙂

0 Karma

helge
Builder

uberAgent's UI latency metric measures the responsiveness of application user interfaces, ie. how long it takes an application to internally process user keyboard/mouse input. The UI latency metric is useful to compare application UI performance between two environments, e.g. physical PCs and VDI. Absolute values are typically not as important as the differences between different types of machines. App UI latency is typically not the right metrics for troubleshooting "Citrix is slow".

Citrix (XenApp?) performance problems are as common as the potential causes are manifold. uberAgent is exactly the right tool to analyze, however it cannot determine the root cause at the click of a button. Instead it collects high-quality metrics for your troubleshooting. I would recommend you inspect network latencies to backend services (e.g. Exchange) in addition to machine resource utilization. Especially disk latency can be telling.

Another aspect often causing slowness with Citrix XenApp is folder redirection, especially if AppData is redirected. Folder redirection depends on constant high availability and low utilization of the file servers. If those are busy even for a short period Citrix users will notice sluggish application performance.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...