All Apps and Add-ons

DBConnect: Indexes missing in New Input dropdown

cjj1977
Path Finder

I am using DBConnect 2.3.0, recently installed on a single Search Head in front of a number of clustered Indexers. We have a large number of distinct indexes used by different teams. I created a new one yesterday to hold SQL data from a new business application.

When I try to create a new DBConnect input via DBConnect app > Operations > New Input, the drop-down list of indexes in stage 4 ("Metadata" configuration) I only see few indexes. I suspect these are indexes configured locally on the search head. This is the first time I have tried this.

How do I get DBConnect to recognise/use the new index that I created? If not via the GUI, is this possible via .conf files?

0 Karma
1 Solution

chrisduimstra
Path Finder

I had this same problem when running DBConnect from the search head. I'm running a single search head and indexer and all of the indexes are created in indexes.conf on the indexer. I was able to get it working by installing the app on the indexer and setting up the input from there.

This may also be useful for you.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/91906/best-practice-to-install-configure-db-connect-in-a-distribu...

View solution in original post

cjj1977
Path Finder

Workaround

This "bug" is only manifest in environments where the input is running on a Search Head in a distributed environment. This is not universally considered as best practice (https://answers.splunk.com/answers/91906). If you do implement such a design then you might want to follow the steps below.

I worked around this issue successfully by:

1. Creating the input against the test index in a disabled state
  2. Editing inputs.conf to change the name of the index
  3. Enabling the input again (set disabled=0 in inputs.conf)
  4. Reloading the configuration with the \debug\refresh URL

Note: When using the app GUI, it does not show the correct index, but as long as that drop-down box isn't changed, it appears to leave the setting as-is when saving updates.

0 Karma

chrisduimstra
Path Finder

I had this same problem when running DBConnect from the search head. I'm running a single search head and indexer and all of the indexes are created in indexes.conf on the indexer. I was able to get it working by installing the app on the indexer and setting up the input from there.

This may also be useful for you.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/91906/best-practice-to-install-configure-db-connect-in-a-distribu...

cjj1977
Path Finder

I can see that installing on a single server/Indexer will work. The link suggests installing the app on a Heavy Forwarder. I'm not at liberty to test that in the environment I am working with. Can you/anyone confirm that installing the app on the HF will make the indexes visible in the UI?

0 Karma

cjj1977
Path Finder

Coming back to this problem having learned more about Splunk, etc. the strict answer (pointed to by Chris) is that the app is only aware of indexes defined locally in indexes.conf.

Indeed, if you follow the advice in the link regarding best practice for distributed environments, the whole question becomes irrelevant as you'll be installing on servers (Indexers or Heavy Forwarders) where you won't use GUI configuration anyway.

This "bug" is only manifest in situations where you are configuring an input on a Search Head in a distributed environment; i.e. not following best-practice.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...