All Apps and Add-ons

Cannot open PyDen app GUI (Splunk 7.3). It loads another app instead.

clarecao
Engager

While PyDen-manager and PyDen does not work with Splunk 8, but I have no issue in open both apps and see their launch page with various tabs (the app GUI).

On my Splunk 7.3, I can build CPython and virtual environments with no issue, and do all the PIP install, but I cannot launch PyDen GUI.
I had this issue from the beginning.

I compared PyDen dirs/files on both Splunk instance servers (owner/mode etc), and they look the same. I did multiple upgrades, removed the PyDen dir, and did a new install, also restarted the Splunkd. Nothing worked.

The strange thing is when launching PyDen, it will launch another app from the apps installed.
If I disable that app, it will load another app.

I want to upload a picture for you to see.
I cannot figure out what I did wrong.

Please help.

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

badarsebard
Communicator

Are you attempting to open PyDen app or PyDen Manager? When you open the app, is there any pattern to which app opens (is it always the same or random)? What is the URL shown when hovering over the link, and where do you end up when attempting to go into the app.

Also, if you're going to PyDen and not PyDen Manager, there's not much point. PyDen does not have a GUI and is intended as a way to distribute the interpreters and virtual environments to the servers.

clarecao
Engager

That is interesting, I can launch Pyden and it does have a GUI in Splunk 8:
http://XXXXXXXXXX:8000/en-US/app/pyden/web_input_monitoring?form.timefield.earliest=-24h%40h&form.ti...

But in Splunk 7 this GUI will open below link instead:
http://iaasn00069250:8000/en-US/app/pyden/gallery
And if I disable gallery, it will load another app.

Don't I need to Pyden GUI to see all the virtual environment?
Thank you so much for you help.
Clare

0 Karma

badarsebard
Communicator

So PyDen has no built-in views. All of those are part of the manager app. T manager app contains the dashboards which let you view, build, and manage the different versions and virtual environments that get built into the PyDen app. Once done, you push the PyDen app into your servers for active use.

What I think is happening in your case is that you're seeing views from other apps exported to the system. Some apps make their views and dashboards available to other apps which is why you see gallery. I've not heard of an app redirecting to a random view if it doesn't have one of its own, but I haven't tested that aspect of PyDen itself. I may add a simple view to the app to prevent this in future versions, but for now I would suggest reviewing the documentation and the manager app.

0 Karma

clarecao
Engager

Got it.
Thank you so much.
Really appreciated your guidance and teaching.
Clare

0 Karma

ayush1906
Path Finder

hi Clarecao,

On your instance backend navigate to opt/splunk/etc/apps/ folder, and see if multiple PyDen folders are available, might be some previous install that's still left.

0 Karma

clarecao
Engager

Hey, thanks for replying.
No, i checked all dir/files and even did: rm -rf pyden so no multiple folders.
After i removed the folder, i downloaded the latest Pyden tgz file and loaded it again via the instance GUI.
Wait, let me just untar/ungzip the file into the folder to see if it will make any difference.

0 Karma

clarecao
Engager

Did not work:

systemctl stop splunk

rm -rf pyden

tar xvzf pyden_123.tgz

systemctl start splunk

I did need to relogin to the splunk instance but i still see pyden as the app loaded (even it shows a different app).
Something in the cache that is not related to the app?
But i can launch Pyden-manager no issue.
Very very strange. Wonder what log i can see details when loading/launch app?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...