All Apps and Add-ons

Basic log parsing setup for VMware

mikefg
Communicator

There are a lot of pieces to the VMware App, but I am only interested in parsing logs for now. What pieces do I need to just do basic syslog parsing for vCenter and ESXi? Splunk_TA_esxilogs and Splunk_TA_vcenter?

0 Karma
1 Solution

mikefg
Communicator

In answering my own question - this can be accomplished, but the results aren't great.

I used the Splunk_TA_vcenter, Splunk_TA_esxilog, TA-VMW-FieldExtractions, and SA-VMWIndex pieces of the app. Where these are installed and configured will depend on your splunk environment setup, so I won't get into that here.

The esxi logs are okay, I can see web logins and ssh logins, but the fields aren't all extracted for every event so most of the information I'm looking is usually scattered in different fields.

The vcenter logs are less than okay, but after doing a little more reading this may be more of an issue with VMware than anything e.g. 127.0.0.1 for a login event ip address.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mikefg
Communicator

In answering my own question - this can be accomplished, but the results aren't great.

I used the Splunk_TA_vcenter, Splunk_TA_esxilog, TA-VMW-FieldExtractions, and SA-VMWIndex pieces of the app. Where these are installed and configured will depend on your splunk environment setup, so I won't get into that here.

The esxi logs are okay, I can see web logins and ssh logins, but the fields aren't all extracted for every event so most of the information I'm looking is usually scattered in different fields.

The vcenter logs are less than okay, but after doing a little more reading this may be more of an issue with VMware than anything e.g. 127.0.0.1 for a login event ip address.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...