All Apps and Add-ons

Add-on LDAP: Why am I getting "External search command 'ldap' returned error code 1."?

alexantao
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm trying to make a search on an OpenLDAP server.
Basically, I have some web logs with some user login in it. I want to do a search on them and map the username to the Real name making a LDAP search to get them.
I installed the ADd-on for LDAP, configured ldap.conf, but when I do a search it returns the

error:"External search command 'ldap' returned error code 1. "

Where can I see what is wrong ? I have no logs about the error, nothing...

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi alexantao,

If you're using the latest version, which is 3.0, you can enable the debugging feature in the python script myldap.py inside the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-LDAP/bin directory. The log will be inside $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/ and is called myldap.py.log

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi alexantao,

If you're using the latest version, which is 3.0, you can enable the debugging feature in the python script myldap.py inside the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-LDAP/bin directory. The log will be inside $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/ and is called myldap.py.log

cheers, MuS

kpavan
Path Finder

Hi,

I was getting same error and enable debug as suggested, getting the below errors, could you please help in fixing?

2016-03-30 09:10:07,045 ERROR myldap:63 - ERROR: LDAP modul load failed with error /lib64/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-LDAP/bin/ldap/ldap/libssl.so.10)!
2016-03-30 09:11:10,123 ERROR myldap:63 - ERROR: LDAP modul load failed with error /lib64/libc.so.6: version
GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-LDAP/bin/ldap/ldap/libssl.so.10)!
2016-03-30 09:11:14,583 ERROR myldap:63 - ERROR: LDAP modul load failed with error /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-LDAP/bin/ldap/ldap/libssl.so.10)!

Thanks!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi kpavan,

The error is pretty clear and straight forward version GLIBC_2.14' not found, read the this from the documentation of the the app:

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

kpavan
Path Finder

Hi MuS,

I have updated glibc from 2.14 to 2.17, but now am getting the below error when am running the query |ldap basedn="o=splunk,c=ae" ldap_filter="(objectclass=person)"
and |ldap basedn="o=splunk,c=ae" ldap_filter="(objectclass=*)" both result error are same.

2016-04-04 13:44:24,836 ERROR myldap:357 - ERROR: {'desc': 'No such object'}
2016-04-04 13:46:18,242 ERROR myldap:357 - ERROR: {'desc': 'No such object'}
2016-04-04 13:47:41,862 ERROR myldap:357 - ERROR: {'desc': 'No such object'}
2016-04-04 13:49:34,170 ERROR myldap:357 - ERROR: {'desc': 'No such object'}

copied ldap.conf from default

[bund]
server = x500.bund.de
port = 389
binddn =
basedn = cn=Liegenschaften,o=Bund,c=DE
password = 0
ldap_filter = (objectclass=*)
usessl = 0

[default]
server = ldap.forumsys.com
port = 389
usessl = 0
binddn = cn=read-only-admin,dc=example,dc=com
basedn = dc=example,dc=com
password = cGFzc3dvcmQ=
ldap_filter = (objectclass=*)

[TESTSSO]
server =
port = 17890
usessl = 0
binddn = cn=splunkuser,o=splunk,c=ae
basedn = o=splunk,c=ae
password = xxxxxx
ldap_filter = (objectclass=person)

Not sure where is issue, could you please what should the correct config/command to for search

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Your LDAP connection is working now.
You forgot the specify the server=TESTSSO parameter.
If this is not set the command will use all the settings of the [default] stanza.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

kpavan
Path Finder

Corrected configs, its working now!

Thank you!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

You're welcome - feel free to up vote any useful answer and comment 😉

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

smahone11
Engager

unfortunately this does not work for me either
ERROR: LDAP modul load failed with error libsasl2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a major new release of it, please hold and wait ...

cheers, MuS

PS: but looking at the error, it sound like the typical missing pre-requirements - from the documentation of the the app:

0 Karma

alexantao
Path Finder

Thank you, now I know that this little Add-On needs GLIBC 2.14, but my system (CentOS 6.6) has only 2.12 and I cannot upgrade until I upgrade the OS.
Anyway, thanks !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...