Alerting

Trigger real time alert once

samiomer
Path Finder

Hello,

I was wondering how I can make Splunk notify me of an alert in real time only once. For example, if I'm running a real time search for when a firewall is turned off, how do I keep Splunk from alerting me for the same results repeatedly (which looks like it happens 3 to 4 times a minute)?

Thanks

Tags (3)
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi samiomer

Alert throttling can be setup like written in the docs or for pre 4.2 splunk with the app alert throttle.

regards

View solution in original post

tommasog
Engager

Only 4.3 supports "once per event".
Anyone found a fully working work-around for 4.2.2?

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

rpm -Uvh splunk-4.3-115073-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm

😉

There are a few performance and security issues that are solved as well when upgrading.

/k

elenzil
Path Finder

my understanding of throttling is that it's not the same as alerting once per event.

eg, if i have throttling set to no more than once per minute,
and an event occurs twice, in two consecutive seconds,
i want to get exactly two alerts.

i'm still looking for an answer to the poster's question.

dijikul
Communicator

Did this ever get resolved? I'm looking for this same thing now, 7 years later... Is this built in?

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi samiomer

Alert throttling can be setup like written in the docs or for pre 4.2 splunk with the app alert throttle.

regards

samiomer
Path Finder

Thanks. That helped 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...