Alerting

Throttle not working as intended

Hegemon76
Communicator

Hello,

I have not utilized throttling before and wanted to try it out on an event I know is happening all the time. The purpose of doing this is I have another alert I want to make for when a host is infected 10 times within a 24 hour period of time and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly because that alert probably (hopefully) will never fire.

product=windows name"An account was successfully logged on" user=Administrator earliest=-1h | transaction Workstation_Name | search eventcount >10 | table Workstation_Name, user

I have this alert scheduled for every hour at 45 on the hour and to fire when the number of results is greater than 0 on every result. I clicked throttle and suppressed the Workstation_Name field for 2 hours but the alert fires every hour still? This seems straight forward but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Mind you this event fires around 4 thousand times an hour.

As I am writing this the only thing I foresee being an issue outside of getting the actual throttle to work is defining the time within a specific days 24 hour period of time. 00:00:00 to 23:59:59. Will I need to do that within the search itself if so how?

Thank you for the help.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

hmm try this and see

scroll down to 'Action Options' sections (which has throttle checkbox), and change the "When triggered, execute actions" from 'For each result' to 'Once'.

0 Karma

Hegemon76
Communicator

It still triggered and by switching that box to once you can't throttle on specific fields.

0 Karma

Hegemon76
Communicator

I'm wondering though if I set it to once.

Lets says workstations A, B and C all get infections within 24 hours. Does it fire per station or just fire once and then stop because the condition was met?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...