Alerting

How to write API results made by splunk Alert action to a custom index

nareshkumarg
Path Finder

Hello all,

I have a requirement to forward events from a search result to an API and store the response from the API call made by an alert action back to a custom index. How can I achieve this. Please help.

Regards,

Naresh

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nareshkumarg
Path Finder

Looks like the only way is to use HEC method to make an API call back to store the data in to an index we want. Kind of a pain but this what I got from Splunk support. I wonder whether Splunk will add this feature OOB on its future version.

Regards,

Naresh

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nareshkumarg
Path Finder

Looks like the only way is to use HEC method to make an API call back to store the data in to an index we want. Kind of a pain but this what I got from Splunk support. I wonder whether Splunk will add this feature OOB on its future version.

Regards,

Naresh

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you've asked this question before.  I don't have experience with the SDK so I can't help in that area.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sounds like you need a custom search command.  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Search/Aboutcustomsearchcommands

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

nareshkumarg
Path Finder

@richgalloway I have built an addon to create an alert action where My API call works. Once the call gets completed the API responds with a JSON data which I want to store on a custom index. Currently, it stores the data by default into the Main index which we don't want to use.

I used the following code using the Splunk add-on builder to write it but it writes the data into the Main index.

helper.addevent("hello", sourcetype="customsource")
helper.addevent("world", sourcetype="customsource")
helper.writeevents(index="mycustomindex", host="localhost", source="localhost")

How to proceed further.

0 Karma

AMAN0113
Explorer

Hi @nareshkumarg,

Did you find a solution to the above? If so, could you please let me know what you found?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...