Alerting

Custom alert action to execute script

pbarbuto
Path Finder

I need help creating an alert action to run a simple bash script. 

I created a custom app with a local/alert_actions.conf file. I have the script in the /opt/splunk/bin/scripts/ directory, but its not being called. I've tried the full path as well as the filename and I'm seeing the following errors both ways. I can run the script manually from the cli and it works fine. I'm wondering what I'm missing? 

[test_custom_alert_action]
is_custom = 1
label = testing the custom alert action
description = Send splunk event data to a script
#alert.execute.cmd = /opt/splunk/bin/scripts/test-script-action.sh
alert.execute.cmd = test-script-action.sh

Errors

06-15-2021 16:33:11.603 -0500 ERROR sendmodalert - action=test_custom_alert_action - Failed to find alert.execute.cmd "test-script-action.sh".

and

06-15-2021 16:30:12.352 -0500 ERROR sendmodalert - action=test_custom_alert_action - Failed to find alert.execute.cmd "/opt/splunk/bin/scripts/test-script-action.sh".

I'll also need to add arguments to send results to the script. I know I'll need to use alert.execute.cmd.arg.0 but I figured I'd just get the script working first. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...