Alerting

Alert on changed ratio between 2 different events?

andyk
Path Finder

I have events coming in that has a field called status_id. This field contains the values OK or ERROR. If I look at the last five minutes it's ok to have a ratio of 20% Errors and 80% events with status_id="OK".

How can I be alerted if the ratio changes to 50% Errors and 50% OK in next 5 minutes?

The total number of events during a 5 minutes period, can be between 20 and 200 depending on the time of the day.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Try this;

sourcetype=your_sourcetype earliest=-5m | stats c AS Total c(eval(status_id="OK")) AS Good c(eval(status_id="ERROR")) AS Bad | eval bad_ratio = Bad/Total

Then set the search to run every 5 minutes, and alert on Custom Condition;

search bad_ratio > 0.25 

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Try this;

sourcetype=your_sourcetype earliest=-5m | stats c AS Total c(eval(status_id="OK")) AS Good c(eval(status_id="ERROR")) AS Bad | eval bad_ratio = Bad/Total

Then set the search to run every 5 minutes, and alert on Custom Condition;

search bad_ratio > 0.25 

Hope this helps,

Kristian

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...