Alerting

Alert Email Clarity

matthewcanty
Communicator

I need some advice on improving the clarity of emails sent by alerts.

I set up some alerts whilst I was away and when they fired others were unable to interpret them. All I need is basic information. Is there any way to remove all the extra information in the body and just have Subject.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

richprescott
Path Finder

You would need to have a resource who can modify the default splunk python script, as this is the script that actually send the emails. It resides in:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py

I would advise making a copy of this script with another name

Thoroughly test the script changes as this would affect all outgoing alerts.
Once you wish to use the new python email script you can point splunk to use it by creating a
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local/commands.conf

You will need a [sendemail] section to point to your new script.

[sendemail]

filename = your_sendemail.py

streaming = false

run_in_preview = false

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/2641/how-do-i-customize-scheduled-search-alert-emails

View solution in original post

richprescott
Path Finder

You would need to have a resource who can modify the default splunk python script, as this is the script that actually send the emails. It resides in:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py

I would advise making a copy of this script with another name

Thoroughly test the script changes as this would affect all outgoing alerts.
Once you wish to use the new python email script you can point splunk to use it by creating a
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local/commands.conf

You will need a [sendemail] section to point to your new script.

[sendemail]

filename = your_sendemail.py

streaming = false

run_in_preview = false

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/2641/how-do-i-customize-scheduled-search-alert-emails

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...