Splunk Search

two different time modifiers in one search?

p_splunk
Engager

The problem I'm facing is that I want a search that comes up with the possibility to set different time modifiers for different events.
For examples i want all account-registrations of january and all item-buys of january AND february.

I'm aware of the possibility of append (but it only works on results right, is there a similar function to append events?), but since this uses a subsearch which performs badly I'm searching for a different possibilty.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

Search over January + February

(account-registrations) OR (item-buys)
| eval eventCategory = If(somecriteria,"Registration","Buy")
| eval month = if (_time < relative_time(now(),"@mon"),"Last","Current")
| where month = "Last" OR eventCategory="Buy"

I don't have enough information to write the actual search, or the criteria for the first if function. But this is a start... and it does avoid subsearches.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

Search over January + February

(account-registrations) OR (item-buys)
| eval eventCategory = If(somecriteria,"Registration","Buy")
| eval month = if (_time < relative_time(now(),"@mon"),"Last","Current")
| where month = "Last" OR eventCategory="Buy"

I don't have enough information to write the actual search, or the criteria for the first if function. But this is a start... and it does avoid subsearches.

p_splunk
Engager

thanks for the great answer, performs very well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...