Splunk Search

transaction to retrive value then make eval

user93
Communicator

Dear community,

I have the following scenario:

User can make many actions, in this case we can have action equals search, result clicked, or load. Each action type has its own log format with many overlapping fields.

I want to count a click index rank, a field of the action = result clicked. However, I want to sort these by pages with this highest or lowest index rank. However, the page value for action= result clicked is the search results page, i.e. page="/search?query=example". The page I want is in the action=load, and will always be the next action of the user, i.e. action=load page=/usergude/exampletopic.html.

So, I'm using the search transaction here to group the journey by customer, but really I want an event that groups the next load action for a specific user following a result clicked, but so that I can make stats on the whole environment.

Any ideas?

Example scenario: Find pages with a low average resultIndex clicked.

user=name action=search query=example

user=name action=resultClicked page=/search?examplequeryfromuser

user=name action=load page=/userguide/exampletopic/theactualpageuserclicked.html

What is the average click rank ? [ for page /userguide/exampletopic/theactualpageuserclicked.html ]

Example base search:

index=server sourcetype=stats action!=pageChanged
| rex field=_raw "query=\"(?<query_quotes>.*)\",filters"| rex field=searchIndex "\[(?<filts>.+)\]"
| rex max_match=0 field=filts "\"(?<index_select>[\w :-]+)\""
| rex field=product_name "\[(?<prods>.+)\]"
|transaction email maxspan=1h maxpause=15m mvlist=true nullstr="-"
| eval usercode=mvdedup(instcode), time_spent_searching=round(duration/60, 4)
| search action=resultClicked query_quotes!="" query_quotes="*" query_quotes="*" publicationId="*" OR NOT publicationId="*"
|eval searchTransaction=lower(query_quotes)
| table custcode publicationId topic searchTransaction action, resultIndex, time_spent_searching,page
| rename time_spent_searching as "Minutes Spent Searching", prods as "Product Filter Selected"

Produce something like

customer codepublicationtopic / pagesearch stringactionresultIndexMinutes spent searchingpage
usernumber--how to loginsearch-10.79/search
 --how to loginresultClicked3 /search?how_to_login
 product_operation_guidelogin.htm--Load-/publications/productoperationsguide/2.0?topic=login.htm
 product_operation_guidereset.htm--Load
 /publications/productoperationsguide/2.0?topic=reset.htm

I want to see that the average click rank is 3 for page=/publications/productoperationsguide/2.0?topic=login.htm. Of course, there would be many users who click on the same page, after searching any number of search strings.

Business goal:

Provide pages with the lowest click rank where the query contains the key term login

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...