Splunk Search

long base search does not work in drop down list?

LearningGuy
Builder

Hello,
Why does long base search not work in drop down list?

For example if the base query on id="StudentName" has a long search "Request-URI Too long" the drop down search did not populate, but it worked just fine on the pie chart
Please help.  Thank you so much

<search id="StudentName">
          <query>index=test</query>
          <earliest>$time_token.earliest$</earliest>
          <latest>$time_token.latest$</latest>
        </search>

<input type="dropdown" token="StudentTok">
        <label>Student Name</label>
        <fieldForLabel>studentname</fieldForLabel>
        <fieldForValue>studentname</fieldForValue>
        <search base="StudentName">
          <query>| head 10</query>
        </search>
      </input>

Labels (3)
0 Karma

LearningGuy
Builder

So, in my case if I need to put that "long search" in drop down list, just use the regular search, not base search?
Thanks

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Base searches _should_ be transforming searches. You can get away with normal event-returning searches, but only when they return a reasonably small set of results. It's not a good idea to try to search for 100k events in your base search (even worse idea if every event is a huge 100-fields json) and then have refining searches transforming the base set of events.

So - for example - you have users logging in to your system. You want to have stats with counts aggregated per day in one table and split by username in another table. You can use two separate searches but you can use base search to spawn just one base search over your source index. But the proper approach here would _not_ be to do just raw search for all logins and then do two separate stats refining searches - one by _time and other by username but as a base search you should do a stats count but it should be done by both of those fields. So your refine searches would need to sum per user or per day.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...