Splunk Search

What am I doing wrong in either my stats, append or eval because I keep getting a blank field?

brood85
Engager

I am very new to Splunk (as in this is my 3rd day using it) and am having some issues understanding what I am doing wrong.

specific.server
    | stats dc(userID) as totalUsers
    | append [search specific.server AND "text" | stats count(field) as variableA]
    | eval variableB = exact(variableA/totalUsers)
    | stats sum(totalUsers), sum(variableA), sum(variableB)

Now when this runs sum(totalUsers) and sum(variableA) shows up correctly however sum(variableB) always shows up as a blank field. I have tried many different ways and none of them have worked.

Now I will explain the way I am understanding what I wrote.

1. First I am counting the number of individual users on a specific server and putting that number as a variable named totalUsers.
  2. I am doing another search and in that search I count how many times a certain field occurs on that specific server and place that value into variableA
  3. I then create a new variable called variableB and evaluate that to be variableA/totalUsers
  4. This then is displayed with the sum of each individual variables totalUsers, variableA, variableB

Please explain to me what I am understanding incorrectly and if at all possible how to achieve what I am trying to do or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

First, you don't want append, you want appendcols. When you use append, you will end up with multiple events - you want all these results in a single event.

Second, you need to time-constrain your inner search, else it runs over all time. I have done that by using addinfo to collect the time parameters of the outer search, and then apply them to the inner search.

Finally, I don't think you need the final stats command, either.

specific.server
| stats dc(userID) as totalUsers
| appendcols [ search specific.server AND "text" 
      addinfo | where _time >= info_min_time AND _time <=info_max_time
      | stats count(field) as variableA ]
| eval variableB = exact(variableA/totalUsers)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...