Splunk Search

Use alternate field for time and filtering

tlmayes
Contributor

I am stuck.  Have tried all of the options I have found.  Most come close, but cannot make it work.  I collect data from a CMDB that has field with a date I need to filter on, created_date. 
What I am trying to accomplish: Generate a query for all events of the past 3 weeks where there are CMDB events that have a field "created_date" spanning multiple months, I only want those events that have a created_date that falls with the the 3 week period.  

If I use the following query, it returns as expected all events within the three week period.  What I want are all events based on the created_date, not based on _time.
BTW, created_date has a standard time output: "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"

index=cmdb dv_number=* dv_assigned_to=* dv_state=* created_date earliest=3w@w latest=@w
| search [| inputlookup cmdb_users.csv| table dv_assigned_to ]
| timechart span1w count(dv_number)

What I also tried, was converting the field created_date, to _time using the following, which turned created_date into epoch, but did produce the correct _time ouput, but cannot use earliest/latest since my understanding is earliest/latest only work on the initial search. 

index=cmdb dv_number=* dv_assigned_to=* dv_state=* created_date earliest=3w@w latest=@w
| search [| inputlookup cmdb_users.csv| table dv_assigned_to ]
| eval created_date=strptime(created_date,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") 
| eval _time=created_date

I also tried using a where statement, which partially worked, but would only cover the outer boundary (3weeks), not the inner boundary of the end of the last week.

| where created_date <= relative_time(now(), "-3w@w") AND created_date >= relative_time(now()), "@w")

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just bound the where clause with the time range you want, e.g.

| eval _time=strptime(created_date,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| where _time>=relative_time(now(), "-3w@w") AND _time<=relative_time(now(), "@w") 

Is that what you mean?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tlmayes
Contributor

Yes, I tried that as well, but returns all events for the past 3 weeks, plus 4 days.  The problem is, I need all events in the past full 3 weeks, so If I run the query today, I only want the events for weeks #14, 15, and 16 (along the 7 day boundary)

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just bound the where clause with the time range you want, e.g.

| where _time>=relative_time(now(), "-3w@w") AND _time<=relative_time(now(), "@w") 

Is that what you mean?

0 Karma

tlmayes
Contributor

Yes... I tried that earlier and kept getting a complaint about a missing ')'... just typed in all in again, and this time it worked.  I ended up with:

| eval created_date=strptime(created_date,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| where created_date>=relative_time(now(), "-3w@w") AND created_date<=relative_time(now(), "@w") 

Thanks for the assist

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The data that is ingested will always get allocated a _time field based on your config for that input - that totally defines what events you get back based on your earliest/latest time range.

I didn't quite understand your goal

Generate a query for all events of the past 3 weeks where there are CMDB events that have a field "created_date" spanning multiple months, I only want those events that have a created_date that falls with the the 3 week period.  

This is really about understanding what an 'event' ingested into Splunk will have as its _time value (ingest/CMDB event time?)

Then you must define your search time range to include any events that need to be found.

You can manipulate _time as you have done in your second example and can test for that _time within the last 3 weeks with

| where _time>=relative_time(now(), "-3w@w")

which will filter out only those created_date times within the last week.

Hope this helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...