Splunk Search

Tracking failed logins followed by successful logins using the transaction command

My
Engager

Hello,

I am trying to track failed logons followed by a successful one using the transaction command and the following criteria:

Limit the time span to 5 min,  add a startswith so each transaction will begin with a logon failure, add an endswith so each transaction will end with logon success and add a | where to find when the eventcount exceeds 3

this is what I have so farMy_0-1638152521000.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @My,

I don't like transaction command and I use it only when I haven't any other solution.

In your case, you could do this:

index=wineventlog sourcetype=xmlwineventlog:Security EventCode IN (4624,4625)
| stats dc(EventCode) AS dc_eventcode count(eval(EventCode=4625)) AS failed BY user host
| where dc_eventcode>1 AND failed>5

in this way you have the filter for more than 5 failed logins and a successful login grouped for user and host.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rrovers
Communicator

I don't see what's wrong with this, except that I don't understand the "where eventcount >3". Without that I expect that it should give you the right results. Or what is it exactly that you are missing?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...