Splunk Search

Splunk-reskit-powershell Query Masking Data

MrMalice
Explorer

I am trying to identify if events have password info in the returned events. I can run a query using the Search app and it returns the data that I am looking for. I visually examine the_raw output listing for the word 'password'. When I execute the same query using splunk-reskit-powershell the data is returned, however, the word 'password' is replaced with a ',' comma in the _raw data listing.

The syntax of my query is in the form of : index= sourcetype= 'password'

I use preset times when using the gui and startime and endtime when using powershell.

Is there a way to prevent the data from being replaced in my output from the powershell query?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MrMalice
Explorer

I was unable to determine why the results from my search didn't include the search phrase from my search.
Example: index="main" sourcetype="splunkd" "FooFoo"
In my example the results in the_raw field would return all of the events without the word FooFoo in them.

In order to get around this anomaly I piped the predicate out to regex.
index="main" sourcetype="splunkd" | regex _raw = "FooFoo"

This returned all events along with the word "FooFoo" present in the result set.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MrMalice
Explorer

I was unable to determine why the results from my search didn't include the search phrase from my search.
Example: index="main" sourcetype="splunkd" "FooFoo"
In my example the results in the_raw field would return all of the events without the word FooFoo in them.

In order to get around this anomaly I piped the predicate out to regex.
index="main" sourcetype="splunkd" | regex _raw = "FooFoo"

This returned all events along with the word "FooFoo" present in the result set.

0 Karma

MrMalice
Explorer

I've found that the results returned from my query will hide the word being searched on regardless of if it says 'password' or not. When I use the -expandproperty option on the raw field it totally removes the word being searched for from the result set. If I don't use the -expandproperty option then it replaces my search string with a ',' comma.
Since this problem seems to be bigger than my initial question that I posed, I'm going to close this question and get the latest version of the kit from GitHub. I hope that resolves this issue.

Regards,
M

0 Karma

MrMalice
Explorer

The editor changed the context of my example.
It should read:
The syntax of my query is in the form of : index= "index_name" sourcetype="sourcetype_name" 'password'

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...