Splunk Search

Rename multiple fields to the same name using a * or a generic character, so it can be done on mass.

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Rename multiple fields to the same name using a * or a generic character. MY data set is producing a lot of data that can fit into the same name. The issues is renaming all of them could take along time.

The way i want to do it (using the * - rename "max(XML_PARSE): STAR" as XML_PARSE )
index=mlc_test sourcetype=LAS source=LAS.log MSG_TYPE=* | timechart span=10s max(IN_TRANS), max(XML_PARSE), max(HANDLER) by MSG_TYPE | rename "max(XML_PARSE): *" as XML_PARSE

However this does not work,

The Long Way [So i want to replace CONTRACT and DRAFT and XXX + YYY with STAR]
index=mlc_test sourcetype=LAS source=LAS.log MSG_TYPE=* | timechart span=10s max(IN_TRANS), max(XML_PARSE), max(HANDLER) by MSG_TYPE | rename "max(XML_PARSE): CONTRACT" as XML_PARSE | rename "max(XML_PARSE): DRAFT" as XML_PARSE

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jeremiahc4
Builder

I've got the same problem where there are multiple fields which contain basically the same information, i.e. responseTime, but they are named differently for their business function. I don't want to hardcode 20 different renames, but rather have just one, but rename expects an asterisk on both sides of the AS and you still wind up with 20 different names. Coalesce isn't the answer either as I tried that and it has an entirely different behavior (creation of a MV field?)

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend
0 Karma

jeremiahc4
Builder

I see replace does what I'm looking for inside the field (i.e. the values). I need something like that for the key or field name.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

If you rename the way you are looking to rename, you will lose the grouping by msg_type. Why not just not group by msg_type? In other words modify your search to

index=mlc_test sourcetype=LAS source=LAS.log MSG_TYPE=* | timechart span=10s max(IN_TRANS) as in_trans, max(XML_PARSE) as xml_parse, max(HANDLER) as handler

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...