Splunk Search

Is it possible to list the filters of the initial search with the results of a subsearch?

Log_wrangler
Builder

Here is the scenario.

I have two indexes (index=AV and index=Packet_Analysis)

I use index=AV to find attack signatures and the attacker IP, then I pipe the IP results from this search into index=Packet_Analysis to see if, and when, the attacker IP did a GET from a certain domain.

For example

index=Packet_Analysis method=GET domain="bad.com" [search index=AV attack_sig="Bad stuff" attacker_IP=10.* |stats values(attacker_IP) as src_ip | table src_ip]  |stats values(src_ip) by _time

fyi - in index=AV the attacker_IP correlates to the src_ip in index=Packet_Analysis

The results I need are Attacker_IP, Attack_time, Src_IP, Get_time.

So,I need to display the results from the initial search with the results of the second search (with the respective times as they are different)...

I believe this can be done with fields and eval, however I need an example to get started.

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kmaron
Motivator

Try this. Your times will come out as the unix time so you'll need to strftime to make them readable but I think this will get you what you want and then you don't need the subsearch.

(index=Packet_Analysis method=GET domain="bad.com") OR (index=AV attack_sig="Bad stuff" attacker_IP=10.*)
    | eval Get_Time = case(index="Packet_Analysis", _time)
    | eval Attack_Time = case(index="AV", _time)
    | eval src_ip = if(index="AV",attacker_IP,src_ip)
    | stats values(Get_Time) as GetTime values(Attack_Time) as AttackTime by src_ip

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

Try this. Your times will come out as the unix time so you'll need to strftime to make them readable but I think this will get you what you want and then you don't need the subsearch.

(index=Packet_Analysis method=GET domain="bad.com") OR (index=AV attack_sig="Bad stuff" attacker_IP=10.*)
    | eval Get_Time = case(index="Packet_Analysis", _time)
    | eval Attack_Time = case(index="AV", _time)
    | eval src_ip = if(index="AV",attacker_IP,src_ip)
    | stats values(Get_Time) as GetTime values(Attack_Time) as AttackTime by src_ip
0 Karma

Log_wrangler
Builder

Thank you for the reply. It got me going. I could not get it to work without coalesce, like this...

| eval Get_Time = case(index="Packet_Analysis", _time) | eval GetTime=strftime(Get_Time,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%Q")
     | eval Attack_Time = case(index="AV", _time) | eval AttackTime=strftime(Attack_Time,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%Q")
     | eval HostIP=coalesce(Remote_IP, src_ip)
     | stats values(GetTime) as GetTime values(AttackTime) as AttackTime by HostIP

Before I accept your answer, I was hoping you could look at my query and advise if there is a better way to write the strfttime conversion...

Thank you

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

if you want your GetTime/AttachTime to look like a timestamp ex: 2018-10-26T08:34:00.000 then your strftime is good.

If you want it to be more person readable you could do this

eval GetTime=strftime(Get_Time,"%m/%d/%Y %I:%M:%S %p)

Which would make it show like this: 10/16/2018 8:34:00 am

There are a lot of options for formatting.

0 Karma

Log_wrangler
Builder

Thank you, I really appreciate your help... I wonder if you can advise on another question I have "How do I correlate email events when the key-id is not defined in all events?"

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

Without really knowing your data I don't think I can help much but you can always post that as a new question and I'm sure someone would have a good answer (or two).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...