Splunk Search

How to write a search that divides values in two distinct tables?

nmsaraujo
Explorer

Hello all,

I have a scenario where I need to make calculations regarding license consumed, per host. However, since in the license_usage log, host value was squashed and I can not fix it for past events.

My theory to calculate average license consumption per host is:
1 - Calculate license used per index, per day

index=_internal source="*license_usage.log" component=LicenseUsage type=usage (idx=set1_*)
| timechart useother=false limit=100 span=1d sum(b) by idx
| fillnull value=0

Output Example for daily license consumption:

Date set1_index1 set1_index2 set1_index3
22-02-2022 345 354 343
21-02-2022 3463 3463 234

2 - Calculate the distinct number of hosts in each index, using tstats:

| tstats values(host) as hosts, dc(host) as total_hosts where (index=set1_*) by _time,index
| timechart useother=false limit=100 span=1d max(total_hosts) as "TotalHosts" by index
| fillnull value=0

Output Example for number of hosts per index:

22-02-2022 2 6 4
21-02-2022 4 1 2

ISSUE: The name of the columns is not static. I can only use a prefix, defined in the index naming conventions.

Objective:

If I am able to divide the daily license consumption by the number of hosts, I have the average consumption per host.

Doe any of you can help me find how I made divide the values in the first query by the ones in the second query, geting a similar output to the table below?

22-02-2022 172,5 59 85,75
21-02-2022 865,75 3463 117

Thanks in advance for your help on this issue.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...