Splunk Search

How to use tstats where with structured data source?

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

tstats shows an error if I include a JSON field in "where" clause.  Same happens to CSV fields.  For example, if my source is like

{"host": "<hostname>", "IP": "<IP address>"}

and I do a search

| tstats count where IP = 10.0.0.1

Splunk displays "When used for 'tstats' searches, the 'WHERE' clause can contain only indexed fields. Ensure all fields in the 'WHERE' clause are indexed. Properly indexed fields should appear in fields.conf."

The problem with fields.conf is that it doesn't deal with original data structure.  With JSON, there is always a chance that regex will not properly capture a field.  With CSV, failure rate is even higher.

Is there some way to do tstats with structured sources? (I notice that despite the warning, tstats still performs OK.  But I'd rather users don't see such error message.)

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

johnhuang
Motivator

This sounds like a good use case for datamodels.

View solution in original post

johnhuang
Motivator

This sounds like a good use case for datamodels.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think that message appears because of the minor breakers in the IP address.  Try overriding that with the TERM operator.

| tstats count where TERM(IP=10.0.0.1)

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

TERM will not be usable if multiple JSON paths have a node named IP.  With CSV, it's even harder, if at all possible, to define a TERM.  I will explore datamodel as @johnhuang suggested.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...