Splunk Search

How to use custom key field in tstats?

GaryZ
Path Finder
I'm having trouble capturing the custom key - "UserKey_ABC" in the following script.   With the following code, I'm not able to see any results.  However, if I remove "UserKey_ABC", I am able to get the results.  I'm certain I do have this key in my events.  How do I approach this issue?

| tstats count where index=abc  Arguments.email=“myemail@abc.com" by 
                     device_build, Arguments.test_url, UserKey_ABC

| rename UserKey_ABC.Day as day, 
                     UserKey_ABC.job1 as job1,
                     UserKey_ABC.Version as version, 
                     Arguments.test_url as test_url, 
                     device_build as build

| table build, lib, day, job1, version, test_url
Labels (5)
0 Karma

GaryZ
Path Finder

@yuanliu I'm fairly new to Splunk this year.   Can you explain what you mean?  - "You can still use the fields in statistical functions"

I've tried 

| tstats count where index=abc  Arguments.email=“myemail@abc.com" by 
                     device_build, Arguments.test_url, UserKey_ABC.job1

| rename UserKey_ABC.Day as day, 
                     UserKey_ABC.job1 as job1

But that didn't work for me either.

Thanks.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's because at index time (when Splunk ingests data), fields like UserKey_ABC.job1 doesn't exist.  They are extracted at search time by some mechanism, but do not exist in indexer.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

tstats only operates on indexed fields.  You can still use the fields in statistical functions.  So, you need to define how you want to see these values, and you cannot use them in groupby.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...