Splunk Search

How to fetch results to a table whose columns are sorted by date AND a timeframe of that date?

lmonahan
Path Finder

I have a test that I run between 1am and 6am each night. I am able to fetch the results for the last 21 days using this query:

index=myindex host=host1 OR host=host2 event=“*event1*” OR event=“*event2*” earliest=-21d latest=now 
| eval date=strftime(_time, "%Y-%m-%d") 
| eval rounded_mean = round(‘my data’, 2) 
| chart perc50(rounded_mean) over name by date limit=0

This query results in a table with a column for each date and a row for each event.

However, sometimes I run the test during the day for debugging purposes and I want to omit any of this daytime data by fetching only the results from 1am to 6am.

How can I refine the results further with a criteria that says "For each day of the last 21 days, between the hours of 1am and 6am, fetch the results"?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dmarling
Builder

If your goal is to limit the base data to only look from 1-6 am each of the past 21 days this will accomplish that:

index=myindex date_hour>=1 date_hour<7 (host=host1 OR host=host2 event=“event1” OR event=“event2”) earliest=-21d latest=now 
If this comment/answer was helpful, please up vote it. Thank you.

View solution in original post

lmonahan
Path Finder

Thank you @dmarling ! Yes I think your solution will work. In my data I am not receiving data_hour so I cannot use it.

My workaround for now is similar: use eval to get the hour and perform a subsearch based on it.

Here is my query:

index=myindex host=host1 OR host=host2 event=“event1” OR event=“event2” earliest=-21d latest=now
| eval hour=strftime(_time, "%H")
| search hour<=3

0 Karma

dmarling
Builder

Glad that works. You can also use a where command to trim out a line:

index=myindex host=host1 OR host=host2 event=“event1” OR event=“event2” earliest=-21d latest=now
| where tonumber(strftime(_time, "%H"))<=3
0 Karma

dmarling
Builder

If your goal is to limit the base data to only look from 1-6 am each of the past 21 days this will accomplish that:

index=myindex date_hour>=1 date_hour<7 (host=host1 OR host=host2 event=“event1” OR event=“event2”) earliest=-21d latest=now 
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...