Splunk Search

How to change the date format if query MySQ data base in DB connect.

felix_fxm
Engager

After query MySQL data base in DB connect, the date is number, how to make it as "YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS"?

sroback_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Tom, You might want to have a look at this documentation about timestamps and dboutput in DB Connect:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/latest/DeployDBX/Configuredatabasemonitoring#About_timestam...
Make sure to review the section on "Timestamp best practices." In case you are using timestamp as rising column, it is not recommended.

Also, you might want to review this Search Reference doc to make sure you are using proper syntax for the "eval" command:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

0 Karma

sroback_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi. You can also try using an SQL statement in your query that converts epoch time to datetime. For example:

SELECT FROM_UNIXTIME(epoch timestamp, optional output format)
The default output is YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS
0 Karma

tom_frotscher
Builder

Hi Felix,

if your date is an epoch timestamp, you can use the strftime command to convert it. Assume time_epoch is your date as number, then:

... | eval date=strftime(time_epoch, "%F %T")

Greetings

Tom

felix_fxm
Engager

Thanks Tom and Sroback! I have tried both, but failed. Following is my search command.

| dbquery WAS_Dev limit=1000 "select * from wsa_db.metering left join (wsa_db.user)\n on (wsa_db.user.Oxygen_Id=wsa_db.metering.Oxygen_Id)"|eval date=strftime(time_epoch, "%F %T")

But the column of “Start_Time” is still a number, such as "1402012699.000".
Type of this column_name is "Date_Time".

Is there some problem with my search command?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...