Splunk Search

How to Count multiple fields in histogram?

rpecka
Explorer

I have rows in the form:

ID Field1 Field2 Field3

And I would like to create a histogram that shows the values of all three fields.

I can make one for Field1 by doing stats count by Field1 span=1000 but I can't seem to figure out how I would get the other values into the same table. Do I need to do multiple searches and join them? How would I go about doing that?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is not clear what you expect the result to look like - for example, if field1 contains either "A", "B", or "C", and field2 contains either "A", "B", or "C", do you want the frequency of "A" in field1 counted separately from the frequency of "A" in field2, etc.?

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can bin every field before counting, e.g.,

index=_internal
| bin date_hour
| bin date_minute
| bin date_second
| stats count by date_hour date_minute date_second

Would this work for your scenario?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rpecka,

probably the solution hinted by @yuanliu is the correct one, if you want the values of field1 field2 and field3 for each ID, you could try this:

index=your_index
| stats count(field1) AS field1 count(field2) AS field2 count(field3) AS field3 BY ID

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...