Splunk Search

How do you plot two series (total vs matching condition) to a timechart?

orinciog

Hello!

I have an index with events that have a status field. They come in the index in real time. I have a dashboard with a timechart and here I want to plot two series based on the selected input above. This input is a dropdown list consisting of:

• All the possible values of the status field (extracted with a search)
  • A static value added by me named all and having the value *

In the timechart, I want to have two series, as follows:

• One for the total count of those events
  • One for the events that match the selected status from the input AND the value is not not found

Until now, I have the following query:

index="my_events" 
| makemv delim="," status
| eval matching=if(status!="not found" AND status="$status_tok$", 1, 0)
| timechart
count(_raw) as "All events"
sum(matching) as "Matching events"

This search works for all the values, but not for the all one. If I select all, the "matching" series will always be 0. I tried to use LIKE or a combination between eval and search but I could not get the desired results.

How can I achieve the above described behavior? Where is the mistake in my query or how can I improve it?

Thanks!

Edit:
I also have a panel with a single value to show only the matching events from the previous hour. It looks like this:

earliest=-1h latest=now() index="my_events" 
| search status!="not found"
| search status="$sourcetype_tok$"
| timechart span=1h count

I want to say that this is working (maybe because * in combination with search works different).

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Change your all value in the dropdown to .+. and change this line:

To this:

| eval matching=if(status!="not found" AND match(status, "$status_tok$"), 1, 0)

The problem is that the * character is a wildcard with search but a string literal with eval and where.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is the right idea, but match expects a regular expression and "*" is not valid regex. I think this will do it

| eval token=if($status_tok$="*", ".*", $status_tok$) | | eval matching=if(status!="not found" AND match(status, 'token'), 1, 0)

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No, see the first part of my sentence about changing to .+; that's where the RegEx is.

0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

You can try:

index="my_events" 
 | timechart
 count as "All events"
 sum(matching) as "Matching events"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...