Splunk Search

How Define a variable to use it in other search?

evelandi

Hi experts, im trying to definde a variable in my search to use is in other search. it should work as a filter in the other search.

"companyNames" is a sourcetype where several company names,Keys are stored for example Key 100001 is customer1.

on the other hand i have the sourcetype "groups" which contains groups for all the companies.

what im trying to do is to filter my second seach by searching the key 100001 so i can define a variable which will be the index for the other search, the indexes for groups are "key-cc" so this is why i define the variable id1 as "Key-cc" but the second search is empty.

sourcetype=companyNames Key=100001
| eval id1= Key."-cc"
| search sourcetype=groups index=id1
| table groupId,groupName

if i search like this:

sourcetype=groups index=100001-cc

the search have values. please your help telling me what im doing wrong.

thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@evelandi,

search takes the terms given as literal and hence even though you assign some value to the variables. In the above example, your final search will still be index=id1 and not the value. You may verify that from job inspector.

To make the above search work, you can use where which work as conditional expressions

sourcetype=companyNames Key=100001
 | eval id1= Key."-cc"
 | where sourcetype=groups AND index=id1

However, looking at your original requirement, you may try

sourcetype=groups [ sourcetype=companyNames  |"search for all keys"|eval id1= Key."-cc"|rename id1 as index ] 

Final search will be formulated as sourcetype=groups (index=100001 OR index=100002)

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...