Splunk Search

Does SOURCE_KEY have the same limitations as EXTRACT

jwhughes58
Contributor

I'm working with a field named Match_Details.match.properties.user.  It contains domain\user information that I'm trying to split into domain and user.  I can't use EXTRACT in props.conf because of this restriction.

EXTRACT-<class> = [<regex>|<regex> in <src_field>]

NOTE: <src_field> has the following restrictions:
  * It can only contain alphanumeric characters and underscore
    (a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and _).

Is this also true with REPORT in transforms.conf?  I can't find any documentation that tells me.

TIA,

Joe

Labels (1)
0 Karma

tej57
Communicator

Hello @jwhughes58 ,

Using REPORT, you generally call the transforms stanza that has the transformations written for extractions, routing, etc. You can simply write the regex that matches against _raw and extract the field required. If you use REPORT and call the transforms to extract the field, the same thing will happen. 

If you necessarily want to use EXTRACT, you need to extract the Match_Details.match.properties.user field at index time and replace the (.) with (_). Then you'll be able to use EXTRACT parameter in props.conf for search time field extractions.

Additionally, you can also consider using rex command in the SPL query to extract the fields at search time. 

Relevant documents:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.1/Admin/Propsconf

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/9.1.2312/SearchReference/Rex

Thanks,
Tejas.

---

If the above solution helps, an upvote is appreciated.

jwhughes58
Contributor

Thanks.  Since transforms.conf doesn't have the limitations of EXTRACT, I finally got it working.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...