Splunk Search

Delta between two Date data fields

jasonhblackwell
Explorer

I am working on metrics for management and was wondering if it was able to compute the delta between two date data fields in an event? For example, one field is the start date and the other is the end date. Can Splunk figure out how many days lapsed in-between the start and end date?

Tags (1)

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming a standard date format (12-20-2010 08:20:25), you want to use the eval and convert search command:

...| convert timeformat='%m-%d-%Y %T' mktime(starttime) mktime(endtime) | eval duration=(endtime-starttime)/86400

This will tell you how many days (there are 86400 seconds in a day) elapsed between the starttime and the endtime. To do the arithmetic, we have to use the convert command to make standard date formats into epoch time (number of seconds since 1/1/1970).

kingbert_Thomas

This seems to be failing in my case

0 Karma

jasonhblackwell
Explorer

The data in my date fields is only 12/10/10. Will that be an issue?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...