Splunk Search

Can someone help me with stats dc with subsearch?

cbrbkrm
Loves-to-Learn
Let's say we have couple of fields in our dataset (called my_dataset) : event_time, event_type, user, field1 and field2. Now, we want to make a search that:
distinct count of field1>X OR distinct count of field2>Y happen within Z minutes from when a specific event_type (let's call that value type1) happens for the first time.
In other words, this search counts number of different field1 or field2 unique values within Z minutes from first type1 (but it searches all event_type values when counting field1 and field2").

I tried:
| tstats 
from datamodel=my_dataset
groupby _time

| eval
detection_time_end=strftime((relative_time(event_time,"+`Z`")), "%F %T.%Q"),
only_type1=if((event_type="type1"),1,null)

| stats
earliest(event_time) as earliest_time,
earliest(detection_time_end) as end_of_detection_time,
dc(field1) as number_of_different_field1_events,
dc(field2) as number_of_different_field2_events,
by user, only_type1
This only takes me so far and I'm not sure what to do next. I get statistics of earliest time and end of detection time of type1 per user with total distinct counts of field1 and field2 events.

I guess I have to use subsearch here? Any help is appreciated here since I got really stuck with this one. Thanks!
Labels (3)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'll take a more literal approach, like

field1 > X OR field2 > Y
| append
    [| tstats min(_time) as first_time where event_type = "type1"] ``` this assumes event_type is indexed - can be more sophisticated if this is not true ```
| eventstats values(first_time) as first_type1 ``` just to populate first_type1 ```
| where first_type1 < event_time and event_time < relative_time(first_type1, "+" . Z . "min")
| stats dc(field1) as number_of_different_field1_events,
 dc(field2) as number_of_different_field2_events
 by user

Obviously, where the "first" type1 event occurs is dependent on the actual search window.  The above assumes that event_type is indexed, although if you cannot use tstats, you can still use a search to do the same.

There must be a way to not even use subsearch because data is already available in the main search.  I just haven't seen it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...