Splunk Enterprise

Why is Splunk UF version 9.0.1 stuck while accepting license?

nbommu
Explorer

We have existing UF 8.2.2 in all instance and managed by ansible, when we are trying upgrade to 9.0.1 ansible stuck which accepting license, if I run that command manually on the target host, it is working fine, I think ansible is waiting for response after ran the command on the target hots which has changed with version 9.0.1.

task to accept license:

- name: Accept Splunk license and set up init script
  command:
    cmd: /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk status --accept-license --answer-yes --no-prompt

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

nbommu
Explorer

Hi Andreas,

how you overcome that issue with accepting license via ansible task or do you have a workaround?

thanks

Niranjan

0 Karma

schose
Builder

Hi Niranjan,

yes, i simply run

- name: accept license
  tags:
   - install
  shell: /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk status --accept-license --answer-yes
  become: yes
  when: 
    - splunk_path.stat.exists == false or current_version.rc != 0
  ignore_errors: true

before..

cheers,

Andreas

0 Karma

nbommu
Explorer

I have been trying with version 9.0.0, 9.0.1 and 9.0.2, all are stuck while accepting license via ansible task but when I run that command manually on that target host it is working fine, I think with version 9 there are some changes in the splunk command causing this. 

rpm I have been using:

splunkforwarder-9.0.2-17e00c557dc1-linux-2.6-x86_64.rpm

thanks

NIranjan

0 Karma

schose
Builder

Hi NIranjan,

can you send an ansible-playbook debug while the task is hanging? I'm using .tgz files as, .rpm always seems a blackbox for me - i cannot see from outside what post scripts are running in. there.

best regards,

Andreas

0 Karma

nbommu
Explorer

definitely something has changed with version 9 splunk binary, when we run license task from ansible its hung forever and I don't see an obvious stdout to check what is going on there, interestingly it works fine with version 8+

0 Karma

likedasplunk
Path Finder

I'm also having the same issue with 9.0.3. I also replied to this thread:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Enterprise/Splunk-9-Universal-Forwarder-getting-quot-App-Key-...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...