Transaction with subsearch match time

user93
Communicator

index=server sourcetype=logtype search_string!="" action=search
[search index=app userID=* pageID=alphnum1234 | dedup userID | table userID]
|<regex field definitions including #of total search |tableresults returned>
|transaction maxspan=1h maxpause=15m userID mvlits=true
|search totalHits=* search_string=*
|eval search_transaction=mvjoin(search_string,",")
|table _time,userID,search_transaction,totalHits,....

So, I'm not certain I am taking the best approach. Maybe if I just describe what I'm trying to do, someone in the community will have a better idea.

-

Problem:

I have two applications, one called search and another called pageviewer. To a user, they don't realise the difference. However, in the data, the actions in search and the pageviewer page loads are two different events happening near the same time.

My goal is to have the list of search strings that lead users to a page, so that I can prepare a report by pageId with a list of key terms. 

-

Today, I am using a transaction command to group searches by user. However, I only want searches from users that viewed the page of interest. My trouble, using my current method, is that the users can view the page any time and I am only interested in their search values if it is near the same time they viewed the page.

-

Code: 

index=server sourcetype=logtype search_string!="" action=search
[search index=app userID=* pageID=alphnum1234 | dedup userID | table userID]
|<regex field definitions including #of total search |tableresults returned>
|transaction maxspan=1h maxpause=15m userID mvlits=true
|search totalHits=* search_string=*
|eval search_transaction=mvjoin(search_string,",")
|table _time,userID,search_transaction,totalHits,....

-

My problem here is that a user could view a page at any time, so if I'm looking across 30 days of events, if that user viewed the page once in the 30 days but also 10 others pages on different days, then I get all of the search results not just the ones near the time the page of interest was opened. This leads to lots of irrelevant results 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

can you give to us some obscured samples of events?

t. Ismo

0 Karma

user93
Communicator

Provide a grouped list of search strings (transaction by user) , however restrict this list only to userIDs who load the page on the same day as the page load.

Example event

[timestamp] [userID=anonymabcd] [action=load ..<more fields>... pageID=abc_1234]

[timestamp] [userID=anonymabcd] [action=search ..<more fields>.... search_string="user typed free text in searchbar"]

-

Actually, after looking closer, in this case they are in the same index, only the log type varies by action (load vs. search). Either way, the problem remains the same, to restrict the subsearch of the page load to an evaluated time difference from the search action.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...