Splunk Enterprise

Removing source rows based on field values.

richtate
Path Finder

I have a index with thousands of operating systems (OS).  I want to remove unwanted operating systems (OS) from my report using wild cards as many of the unwanted share the same value as part of the OS.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

earliest=-15d@d index="asset" sourcetype="Tenable:SecurityCenter:Asset"
WHERE operating_system NOT "[APC*" OR "[AIX*"
| stats count by operating_system

I want to remove OS that have APC or AIX ( and others not listed) from the query.  But I can't use a wildcard which would mean hundreds of entries just for APC and all the versions I want to exclude.  I've tried NOT IN, NOT LIKE, != and more but either nothing is returned or what I want filtered out is not filtered and all events are returned.  Suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

These operating systems don't have the leading [ which you had in your original post - try this instead

| regex operating_system!="(APC|AIX)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| regex operating_system!="^\[(APC|AIX)"
0 Karma

richtate
Path Finder

I gave that a try and still getting those OS returned:

richtate_0-1632263222509.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

These operating systems don't have the leading [ which you had in your original post - try this instead

| regex operating_system!="(APC|AIX)"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...