Splunk Dev

splunk java agent

1234testtest
Path Finder

I have downloaded SplunkJavaAgent and set it to run in eclipse by giving arguments for javaagent during Tomcat startup and am getting events in Splunk through TCP but not what I want.

Following are the challenges I have.

*1. I would like to have method names, execution timings, call trace, application/thread stalls, errors/exceptions/throwables 2. Heap analysis

I am not sure if I am doing right in splunkagent.properties - giving the details of the file.

agent.app.name=Tomcat
agent.app.instance=MyJVM
agent.userEventTags=key1=value1,key2=value2
splunk.transport.internalQueueSize=10000
splunk.transport.impl=com.splunk.javaagent.transport.SplunkTCPTransport
splunk.transport.tcp.host=localhost
splunk.transport.tcp.port=5150
splunk.transport.tcp.maxQueueSize=5MB
splunk.transport.tcp.dropEventsOnQueueFull=false
trace.whitelist=com/myinit
trace.methodEntered=true
trace.methodExited=true
trace.classLoaded=true
trace.errors=true
trace.hprof=false
trace.hprof.tempfile=mydump.hprof
trace.hprof.frequency=6

trace.jmx=true
trace.jmx.configfiles=jmx
trace.jmx.default.frequency=6

And the output I get is

vax.management.openmbean.CompositeType(name=java.lang.management.MemoryUsage,items=((itemName=committed,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long)),(itemName=init,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long)),(itemName=max,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long)),(itemName=used,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long)))),contents={committed=15466496, init=12582912, max=67108864, used=15221296})}), [Survivor Space]=javax.management.openmbean.CompositeDataSupport(compositeType=javax.management.openmbean.CompositeType(name=Map,items=((itemName=key,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.String)),(itemName=value,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.CompositeType(name=java.lang.management.MemoryUsage,items=((itemName=committed,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long)),(itemName=init,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long)),(itemName=max,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long)),(itemName=used,itemType=javax.management.openmbean.SimpleType(name=java.lang.Long))))))),contents={key=Survivor Space,

3:43:08.024 PM

1365070388024 name=jmx event_id=splunkagent mbean_domain=java.lang mbean_property_name=Code Cache mbean_property_type=MemoryPool usageUsed=3579264 memManagerNames=[CodeCacheManager] usageInit=163840 memoryType=NON_HEAP peakUsageMax=33554432 usageMax=33554432 peakUsageCommitted=3604480 peakUsageUsed=3579264 colUsageMax= colUsageUsed= colUsageInit= name=Code Cache peakUsageInit=163840 colUsageCommitted= usageCommitted=3604480 appName=Tomcat appID=MyJVM key2=value2 key1=value1

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Go and get the latest code now :

https://github.com/damiendallimore/SplunkJavaAgent

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

It will be this week.

0 Karma

1234testtest
Path Finder

Hi Damien Dallimore, Kindly let me know if the update is available.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Give me a day or 2.

0 Karma

1234testtest
Path Finder

And also forgot to mention, there some ognl exceptions that were in the eclipse console...believe these also would go withthenew release

0 Karma

1234testtest
Path Finder

Thank you. If there is Any tentative timeline for the release, Pl let me know

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I'm going to release an updated version to github. The JMX logic is a port of the engine from the Splunk for JMX app. When running in embedded mode with the SplunkJavaAgent the GCInfo Object returned from the java.lang GarbageCollector MBean is a different base type , hence the above object dump for the GC Mbean.

You should be able to see tracing details for all classes in the com/myinit package also (presuming those classes are getting classloaded) , the above config looks mostly ok. I'd drop the "agent.userEventTags" if you are not using it.

0 Karma

1234testtest
Path Finder

OS windows xp JVM java 7 tomcat 6 IDE eclipse ( running tomcat via eclipse)

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Can you describe your environment: OS , Java Runtime , JVM type , were you running Tomcat standalone or via an IDE etc..

0 Karma

1234testtest
Path Finder

Am posting only part because of character restriction of comments. I havent made any changes to jmx.xml. I went through the site but as I couldnt get what are the minimum changes that need to be done - I didnt attempt it.

<attribute name="ThreadContentionMonitor

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

can you post a copy of the jmx.xml config you are using ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...