Other Usage

How to extract the live hostname and IP from a csv file with just the hostname

ShastaFoz

Currently I have a search and report that is producing the live data we need.  It is names as an example: "look now"...two words with a space in between.  So if I want to check if a host is on line we type in the search:

look now hostname splunkserver1     

We get current IP, MAC, Hostname, user etc.

Rather than doing this one at a time I would like to load a csv file with like 200 hostnames then have Splunk look up that information in the CSV file, match it to what is live (one the network) then provide me with the I information; IP, MAC, Hostname, user etc.

I have successfully got a list to run but it was only the csv file.  No matching.  

Then tried this      look now = ([| inputlookup hostlu.csv |fields hostname])

and got the list but only the host name without IP, mac etc and the error:  Error in 'search' command: Unable to parse the search: Comparator '=' has an invalid term on the right hand side

look now  {can look at all the hosts that are on or have been on.}

hostlu.csv {the file that will be loaded manually daily with just the host names}

Thanks for the help in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ShastaFoz,

did you explored the lookup command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/SearchReference/Lookup)?

Something like this (if the hostname field is the same both in main search and lookup):

<your-search>
| lookup hostlu.csv hostname OUTPUT  IP MAC Hostname user

if you could share your code, I'll be more detailed.

One additional information: if possible, avoid spaces in field names because in this case you have to use quotes every time, if you must have them, make a rename of them

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...