Monitoring Splunk

Is there a way to calculate bandwidth requirements for Splunk index replication in a indexer cluster?

keithyap
Path Finder

Basically this situation is this:

Customer asked what would be their bandwidth requirements for the replication between indexers.

Say if the license size per day is 200GB, with compression roughly 50% indexed data stored should be about 100GB.
now they have 2 indexers in the cluster with repfactor of 2 and search factor of 2.
so my calculation is below (not sure if it is correct)

based on Splunk docs the 50% consist of the below:
15% for the rawdata file.
35% for associated index files.

Total rawdata = (100*0.15)* 2 (this is the rep factor) = 30 GB
Total index files = (100*0.35)* 2 (this is the search factor) = 70 GB

So a total of 100GB of data will be replicated.

for the bandwidth calculation of 100GB per day:
(100/86400)*1024*1024 = 1213.63 KB/s

This is what I have come up with so far. Any advise would be appreciated.
Also what happens if it is a multisite cluster..

Super Champion

@keithyap,
have a look at this site
https://splunk-sizing.appspot.com/
provide your inputs like daily indexing size,no. of indexer etc. and it will calculate required sizing

0 Karma

keithyap
Path Finder

@493669 Thanks for the quick reply, regarding the sizing I have used this website before.
Sadly however, currently what I need to find out now is the bandwidth requirements for replication of the data not the storage sizing itself. =(

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...