Installation

Why are domain controllers not taking SCCM installation app?

mk_ultra

Hello,

I deploy Splunk via SCCM using a PowerShell script which runs the MSI and then copies a specific deploymentclient.conf file depending on the server type.

For some reason, application deployment is failing on all of our domain controllers with the error which correlates to "invalid detection method used". I can see when the MSI runs, the old version gets uninstalled, but then ultimately it just gets reinstalled again. This newer version is superseding an older version, so could that be part of the issue? Why would this only affect domain controllers when all of our other server installations are successful? Would the MSI detection string be different for domain controllers?

This is the PowerShell install command I am using:

(start-process "msiexec.exe" -ArgumentList '/i "splunkforwarder.msi" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder" AGREETOLICENSE=yes /qn /l c:\Install\Log\Splunk_Forwarder_Install.log' -Wait -NoNewWindow -PassThru).ExitCode
Labels (2)
0 Karma

mk_ultra

Here are more hints from verbose logging:

Property(S): InstallRegmonDrv = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): InstallNetmonDrv = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): InstallNohandleDrv = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): CreateFtr = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): FirstTimeRun = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): SetSplunkLaunchConf = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;SplunkSvcName=SplunkForwarder;FailCA=
Property(S): InstallSplunkService = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;SplunkSvcName=SplunkForwarder;ServiceStartType=auto;PrevProdCode={1CA252F3-7317-4021-B678-141BB5D3E3FF};FailCA=
Property(S): SetAcls = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;SplunkSvcName=SplunkForwarder;FailCA=
Property(S): EnableSplunkForwarder = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): EnableEventLogs = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;App=; Sec=; Sys=;Fwd=; Set=;FailCA=
Property(S): StartSplunkService = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;SplunkSvcName=SplunkForwarder;LaunchSplunk=1;FailCA=
Property(S): StopSplunkServiceDef = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;SplunkSvcName=SplunkForwarder;FailCA=
Property(S): RollbackRegmonDrv = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): RollbackNetmonDrv = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): RollbackNohandleDrv = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;FailCA=
Property(S): RestartSplunkService = SystemFolder=C:\Windows\SysWOW64\;System64Folder=C:\Windows\system32\;SplunkHome=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\;SplunkSvcName=SplunkForwarder;LaunchSplunk=1;FailCA=

Certificate issue?

0 Karma

jho-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @mk_ultra,

Please see the following reply for instructions on how to troubleshoot: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/Install-issue-on-Server-2016/m-p/540173/highlight/true#...

Cheers,

- Jo.

0 Karma

mk_ultra

This is resolved. I just put an extra line in my PowerShell deployment script to uninstall the previous version of Splunk Forwarder before attempting the new install. This wasn't necessary for previous SCCM deployments where I did an upgrade in-place with supersedence rules. And curiously it only affected domain controllers.

0 Karma

jho-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hmmm...interesting.  That should be implied, but thanks for letting us know!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...